Saturday, October 1, 2011

Nikki Dharma Dog

Whew, had to take a break after that last post. I guess it's pretty obvious now, that all dogs are dharma dogs. They have so much to teach us about life, about ourselves. It was really more about the level of my own Buddhist practice that I began to call Nikki the dharma dog, and not any of the dogs before. And while our morning outings have taken us to places of quietude and contemplation, it was my relationship with Nikki - and the way it unfolded - that made me recognize him as the dharma dog.

For the longest time, Nikki lived in the shadow of Kaleo, even as I hated to admit it, I held back my affection and became disappointed when unrealistic and unfair expectations were placed on him. It took a huge effort to see Nikki for himself and not as a failed replacement for Kaleo. Eventually, mindful persistence and discipline paid off. I began to appreciate and see him as a beautiful dog totally in his own right. And with with Nikki's patience and generosity we managed to form a special bond that is uniquely our own. 




No comments:

Post a Comment